Thursday, October 30, 2014

Overdue Kiddo Update

I have really dropped the ball on blogging and recording memories these past couple of months.  In my defense, I have been putting my time to good use: wretching into the toilet on a nightly basis and collapsing on the couch in an exhausted heap whenever I get a break from chasing around my energetic children.  You know, fun pregnancy stuff.  And my nausea doesn't show any signs of letting up, despite the fact that I am technically now in the second trimester.  So that's cool.

As a result, this update may not be completely accurate in terms of date or captions because I am too sick to keep track of what day it is or what we are doing at any given time.  But the kids are still breathing, so that's a win in my book.  Anyway, here's my best attempt at an update and photo dump:

Jill
  • This girl is all about babies right now.  I don't know if it's because she really understands she's about about to get a new brother or sister, or if it's because her baby doll has become her new "lovey."  Either way, we can't go anywhere without her babies: "Dolly" and "Baby Two"
  • She's also really into hide and seek ("hiyseek").  Sometimes it's cute, like when she thinks we can't see her when she's standing in the corner of the room.  Sometimes it's terrifying, like when she hides in the closet without telling anyone and sits there completely silently while we frantically search the entire house for her.
  • Jill loves reading books.  Current favorites include Where the Wild Things Are (which she calls "Rawr!"), One Drowsy Dragon, and The Sleepy Little Alphabet.
  • She also loves watching TV.  I admit, I do let her crawl up onto the couch next to her brother when he's enjoying cartoon privileges and watch with him for a few minutes.  It seems mean not to.  And also it's irresistible when she pleads, "I wan 'toons!  I wan 'toons!"
  • She is talking up a storm right now, repeating everything we say in her own adorable way.  Chris loves her pronunciation of platypus ("pappytus!") but his favorite was the first time she said: "I yuv Daddy."
Aaron
  • The other day Aaron got in trouble for body-slamming his sister into the hardwood floor.  When his time-out was over, I crouched in front of him and tried to explain to him why it wasn't nice to hurt his sister.  I was hoping for some sign of contrition.  Instead, he gave me a winning smile, a huge hug, and chirped "I love you!" before running off to play again.  I'm not sure he was that sorry...
  • He's also getting too smart for his own good.  For example, we've been trying to limit the amount of water he drinks right before bedtime to prevent him from wetting through his diaper.  But we also don't want to leave him without a water by his bed because it's getting really dry out and sometimes he wakes up extra thirsty.  So we restrict him to a small sip before lights out.  Tonight, as I was tucking him in, he said, "Mommy, I just wait until you leave and then I can drink more!"
  • Aaron is very into imaginative play right now.  He's great at playing for extended times by himself, and it's really fun to listen to his matchbox cars have conversations with each other, or to watch him prepare imaginary meals for his stuffed animals.
  • It's really fun to read with Aaron right now because he understands the stories and we're able to read more complex books, including some of my own favorites from childhood.  He also memorizes them almost verbatim so I have to read exactly right or he will correct me!
7/30: Ice cream with the cousins

8/1: Storytime

8/13: Cute little conductor

8/23: Winning!

8/31: 'Sup

9/4: Hugs with the cuddle bugs

9/6: Family picnic

9/13: Duplos just keep getting bigger

9/17: Play ball!

9/19: Helping to bake Daddy's birthday cake

9/20: Last days of summer

9/22: The cutest kind of piggies

9/27: 'Toons

9/27: Hanging out in Starbucks

9/30: Ready to get artsy

10/1: One of their favorite "hiding places"

10/3: Professional pile

10/12: Beautiful girl

10/12: Kiddo cuddles

10/16: Peekaboo!

10/19: She loves her Daddy

10/20: Looks like she's up to something

10/26: Pumpkin inspection

10/27: Greeting Mr. and Mrs. Mallard

10/28: Walking a mile in my shoes...or at least a few feet

QUOTE WALL/MEMORABLE MOMENTS
-Aaron: "Mom, I just flipped Jill like a burger!"

-Aaron: (pointing to scratches on our dining room table) "Mom, this table is ruined."
-Me: "Yes, it has some scratches."
-Aaron: "The animals ruined it!"
-Me: (looking straight at him) "Hmm, I wonder which animal that was."
-Aaron: (big grin) "It was I?"

-Aaron: "It's ok Mom, you're a grown-up you can do it!"

-Aaron: "Is it funny when we throw things at people?"
-Daddy: "No, it's naughty to throw things at people.  Is it funny to be naughty?"
-Aaron: "No!  Buuut....sometimes it's a little bit funny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment