Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A National Tragedy

My dearest children,

Yesterday was election day, and I'd been looking forward to writing this post.  Our nation had come so far.  We were making strides toward fixing the economy, achieving gun control measures, taking back the Supreme Court, providing our citizens with health care, and fighting climate change.  I was excited to watch the inauguration with you, and proud that my children would witness the historic passage of the torch from our first black president to our first female president.

Alas.  Last night, our country made a horrible mistake.  I still can't quite process it.  I've been in a daze all day, feeling like I should be able to shake myself awake from this nightmare.  Our nation, which is supposed to be a beacon of freedom, diversity, acceptance, and hope, has elected a racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, narcissistic, dishonest, erratic, childish, cheating, hateful demagogue to be the leader of the free world.  We have chosen as the face of our great nation someone who has insulted immigrants, people of color, women, Muslims, the disabled, and veterans on a national stage.  He has bragged about sexually assaulting women and mercilessly berated anyone who disagrees with him in the most personal, petty terms.  I am heartbroken.

I don't know what is going to happen to our nation.  Hopefully the other democratic processes we have in place will protect us to some degree.  But I can promise you this: your father and I did not vote for Trump.  We do not believe in bullying, or ridiculing, or intimidating those who disagree with you.  We do not believe that discriminating against others based on their race or religion is right, or Christian.  We do not believe that bigotry is a democratic value.  We voted against all of those things, and for that at least, we are proud.  It's hard to feel hopeful in the face of such a tragedy.  But my hope is that by the time you're old enough to read this or care, we will have learned from this mistake and the rhetoric of the Trump campaign that embarrassingly appealed to so many Americans will have been exchanged once more for hope, love, respect, and human decency.

#werestillwithher

No comments:

Post a Comment