- Aaron is becoming a contributing member of our family -- this is a moment I've been anticipating for a long time! When I ask him to clean up his toys, he actually does it. He clears his plate after dinner, wipes down the table, and makes his bed. How long before I can get him to start doing laundry?
- His increasing level of maturity is showing in other ways too. He is pretty patient with Danny and Jill (although everyone has their limits), and sometimes I'll walk into the room and find him helping them get their shoes on or get dressed. One morning I was getting breakfast ready and I turned around to see that Aaron had already put everyone's sippy cups on the table!
- Jill is still very into playing make believe. But she has specific expectations for how all the characters in her performances are supposed to behave. She tells me exactly what I have to say and if I try to ad lib, I get shot down pretty quickly. I'm not sure why I even have to be involved but I have been assured that my presence is non-negotiable.
- I'm pretty sure that one of Jill's love languages is physical touch. This girl loves to cuddle and be held! When she first wakes up in the morning, she wants me to sit and cuddle with her. When she is sad about something, she needs a hug. When she's in trouble, she wants to crawl in my lap. And whenever I sit down anywhere, she is immediately crawling on top of me. At least we know how to make her feel loved!
- Danny's baby talk is slowly slipping away. I love the way he tends to drop the "s" sound in his words. For example, "stop" is "top." "Scared" is "cawed." And my personal favorite -- in the Gruffalo, "scrambled snake" is "cambled nake." But all of that is starting to change. The other day he asked for regular old "ice cream" (instead of "eye keem") and I almost cried.
- D is basically just a big teddy bear that I can't stop kissing. People who don't live in our house are always shocked to find out that he actually does throw the occasional temper tantrum because he always seems to happy and playful. He loves to make us laugh and we think he's pretty funny!
8/16: Mommy-daughter yoga with Jill can get a little silly
8/18: Our bagworm moth caterpillar, named Pinecone
8/19: Noodle rafts
8/19: Gotta work on our form a bit
8/19: Storytime with Oma
8/20: Have we reached the weight limit on Oma's happy place yet?
8/20: Auntie loves her niece!
8/20: Cousin love
8/20: Vander Griend ladies with our Lizzie
8/20: Pooped
8/21: Big fan of Moana
8/22: SuperJill to the rescue
8/27: Bright eyes
8/30: Welcome to the nuthouse
8/30: He really is superdad
8/30: What?!
9/1: Aaron built his own fort!
9/2: Poolside snacks
9/4: Family board games
9/9: A dragon and a puppy dog. Pretty accurate, no?
9/9: Aaron's first day of t-ball
9/9: Good hit!
9/12: Cookie decorating at a local bakery
9/13: Entertaining themselves while Mommy attends a PTO meeting
9/13: Reconnecting with old friends
9/16: Happy to be at the beach in mid-September!
9/19: Public transportation is looking pretty good these days
9/20: This is my attempt to preserve a memory of D's cute way of saying things before his babytalk turns into backtalk!
9/21: Squeeze!
9/22: That doesn't look safe
9/23: With Aunt Marie on our bench, right before it got stolen...again
9/23: Family tennis match
9/23: On an adventure with Oma
9/23: City swings
9/23: Pokemon lover
9/23: Danny wants to play t-ball too!
9/24: Smooch!
9/24: Sweet girl
9/25: Psychedelic story time
9/29: My work here is done
9/30: Bouncy houses at Oktoberfest
9/30: Strong girl!
9/30: This is why it takes us so long to get out the door
10/1: Climbing yet another bouncy house at Applefest in Lincoln Square
10/4: Dancing along to their new favorite show, Bo on the Go
10/6: Checking out the new Eric Carle exhibit at the Children's Museum
-Me: "Jill, do you understand?"
-Jill: "Yes."
-Me: "What did I say?"
-Jill: "I don't know. But I understand."
-Aaron (right after I told him he could watch a show on TV): "Mom, you already made a promise so you have to keep it but...I want to tell you that we already watched a lot of TV today."
-Jill (sitting down to dinner): I'll eat it but I hate this dinner!"
-Jill (after finishing the dinner she hated): "I'll have some coconut cake but coconut cake is the worst in the world!"
-Chris: "Isn't the cake good guys?"
-Jill (muttering under her breath): "Worst cake ever."
-Me: "Look guys! I used to live in that building. That's Mommy's old apartment!"
-Jill: "You used to live there?"
-Me: "Yep!"
-Jill: "And there were a lot of skunks there?"
-Me: "Ok guys we're about to get on the highway."
-Jill: "But it's close to the ground!"
-Chris: "Mommy, there's a sucker born every minute."
-Jill: "Yeah Mommy! Look how much suckers were born!"
-Danny (while Dora was gone to Romania for two weeks): "Where is Dowa? Dowa is my bast fwand (best friend)!"
-Danny (when Dora first walked in the door after returning from Romania): "Hi bast fwand!"
No comments:
Post a Comment