Friday, June 13, 2014

Kiddo Update

Now that our baby is a year old, I'm switching from the monthly updates to "periodic updates."  So here's what's up with the kiddos since we last checked in:

Jill
  • She loves doggies.  Every time she sees a dog she makes the cutest little "ruff ruff" sound.  We are trying really hard to get a video of it, but of course every time we whip out our phones, she stops.
  • She walks everywhere now.  No more of this crawling stuff.  We officially have another toddler!
  • Jill is in full-blown Mommy-mode.  She cries when I put her down, cries when I leave, cries when I hand her off to anyone else.  But whenever I feel the slightest bit frustrated that I can't have a moment's peace, I remind myself that I will long for these moments when she's a teenager.
  • She has added a new word to her repertoire: "cheers." There are few things cuter than her big smile as she trills "chzzs" and smashes her sippy into whatever is within reach.
  • She has started screeching at the top of her lungs when she doesn't get what she wants.  It's sort of hilarious to see her do it to her brother and scare him into giving her a toy, but it's not so funny when she does it to me...
Aaron
  • Aaron is such a sweet big brother.  He loves to give Jill kisses and hugs and bring her toys and things to drink.  Although we've had a few conversations about how tight our hugs can be before Jill stops liking it...
  • He's been calling me "Mom" instead of "Mommy."  At certain times, he seems like he's trying it out to see how it sounds: "Mom, Mom?  Mom!  Mom.  Mom, Mom, Mom."  Over and over and over.  And then he'll watch me to see if I answer or react any differently.  When I do answer, he seems pleased, like this new experiment of his is working. And even more recently he has started shortening "Mom" to "Ma" -- what are we, the Waltons?
  • He refers to Jill as "spunky girl" which sounds like "spunky gool" and it's the cutest thing ever.
  • Aaron is really getting into imaginative play and it's so fun to watch, especially when he's tucking his cars into bed or scolding his stuffed animals for making a mess.
  • He's also starting to match letters with sounds and gets excited when we sound out a word together.  Early reader?
4/28: Sharing with his sister

4/29: Sibling selfie

5/2: Almost enough hair for a clip

5/2: Hey, I look good in accessories too!

5/3: Family bike ride

5/9: We take storytime seriously in our family

5/10: Babies in buggies

5/10: Sampling the local fare at the Green City Market

5/12: Sisters are not horsies

5/16: Tolerant cat

5/22: Our silly kids.  I would like to draw special attention to 0:05 where Jill tries to dance along in her high chair and hits her own face...

5/23: Driving the train at the park

5/23: Some random little boy came up to Jill at the park and was totally mesmerized by her.  He kept staring at her and touching her and giving her kisses.  When Aaron saw what was going on, he came over and sat next to her protectively, just to stake out his territory (notice how at 0:31 the boy kisses Jill and Aaron wipes it off!).  Chris caught the end of the exchange on camera.  Nice to know she's got a big brother looking out for her!  

5/24: Little sweet potato

5/26: So, where we goin'?

5/26: Happy it's finally summer!

5/29: Someone really likes applesauce

5/31: It's fun to splash Mom with water!

5/31: Composing her concerto

5/13: Obligatory bath hairdo photo

6/1: Really tolerant cat

6/1: Me and my littles

6/7: Beach day!

QUOTE WALL/MEMORABLE MOMENTS
-Me: "Aaron, I'm pretending to be a monkey.  What animal are you?"
-Aaron: "I'm a giraffe!"
-Me: "What is Jill?"
-Aaron: "Jilly is an elephant. ...And daddy is a chicken!"

-Aaron: "Mommy, can I close the door?"
-Me: "No, leave the door open honey, because the kitty needs to be able to get to his litterbox and go potty."
-Aaron: "If the kitty goes poopy in the potty, he gets M&Ms!"

-Aaron: "Mommy can I help you?" 
-Me: "Sure!  You take the asparagus and snap off the ends like this."
-Aaron: "Mommy, it's ok you can do it yourself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment