Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Kiddo Update

It's been over a month since I've posted an update so be forewarned that this one is long!

Aaron
  • Aaron is like a sponge these days.  If you watch his face closely you can almost see him figuring things out.  The other day I explained to him the concept of opposites.  After just a minute or two, he got the hang of it and he started telling me he was going to do the opposite of go to sleep at bedtime.  He has also started asking questions about more complicated topics such as childbirth, gay marriage, and politics.  He is definitely challenging me to come up with responses that are both honest and age-appropriate.  We are both learning so much!
  • Aaron very much wants to be treated like an adult, or at least like a big kid.  He likes to pick out his own clothes and dress himself.  He will (sometimes) clean up all the toys in the living room without being asked.  The other day he even washed a few dishes in the kitchen sink when I asked him to.  He also likes to think of himself as an authority figure in our family.  The other day he asked me thoughtfully: "Mommy, have you and I and Daddy beed in a lot of talks in the lately?"  I interpreted: "You mean, have you and Daddy and I had lots of conversations recently?" "Yeah." "Sure, we have lots of conversations together, don't we?" His response: "Yeah.  And we make all the decisions!"  Later I heard him telling Jill, "We make the decisions, not you!"
Jill
  • This has been a big month for Jill.  A few weeks ago we did potty training boot camp.  The weekend itself was somewhat stressful (mostly because Daddy threw out his back so I was on my own), but she picked it up pretty quickly.  Not only can she go potty all by herself, she is already dry all night too.  Bye bye diapers!  Oh wait, there's still Danny...
  • She stopped sucking her thumb.  And then started again.  I tried using some of that icky-tasting nail polish, which worked like a charm.  But then she figured out that the nail polish had worn off and started doing it again when she was sleeping.  I didn't have the heart to force the polish on her again since she sleeps so much better when she can suck her thumb.  But I still think we've made progress since she only does it at night and during naps now, instead of all day long.  Baby steps!
Daniel
  • It didn't take long for Danny to get the hang of walking.  He is pretty steady on his feet now and pretty darn fast!
  • Danny is also saying quite a few words already (most of which are one syllable and rhyme): Ma, Da, gah (go), cah (car), nah (no), bah (ball), uh oh, moo, quack, and my personal favorite: dis (this).  When I'm holding him, he loves to point at various objects and chirp "Dis!  Dis!" so I will bring him close to touch or grab them.
  • This kid does not like to be told no.  I am already getting glimpses of what his temper tantrums will be like.  And it's going to be tough, because he is strong-willed and strong!
  • Danny is such a gregarious little man.  He loves to make eye contact with strangers and smile or make funny faces at them.  Every time I'm with him in public (e.g., in the line at the grocery store) I inevitably start to hear chuckles from random strangers around me and realize that Danny is flirting and winning hearts again.
  • He is soaking up a lot of information by repeating the things we say and do.  If we say a word, he repeats it back.  If we clap, he claps too.  If we throw a ball, he throws it back.  It's really cute . . . sometimes.  I must admit I don't particularly love it when Jill screams at the top of her lungs to get Danny to scream too. 

3/11: Can I keep him? 

3/11: Footloose and fancy free

3/11: Not a fan of the yucky-tasting nail polish

3/12: Poor Aaron face-planted on the edge of the tub.  One of his front teeth turned grey a week or so later.  We're told the discoloration will fade with time.  But it doesn't affect his cuteness one bit!

3/13: Feelin' the love

3/13: Ok I'm starting to worry about this kid

3/13: Tough guy

3/14: I'll drive!

3/16: He knows exactly how handsome he is

3/18: He's right behind me, isn't he?

3/18: Questionable medical ethics

3/18: They only did this so I would let them watch cartoons

3/19: Wazzuppp!

3/20: Playground artists

3/20: Wrestlemania

3/25: Tuckered out from all the running she wasn't doing

3/27: Singin' in the rain

3/28: He might actually be too big for the baby swings soon

3/28: Daddy gets an enthusiastic greeting every time he meets us at the park after work 

3/28: Balancing act

4/2: Wait. I think I dropped one.

4/2: Springtime in Chicago (aka April snow showers)

4/3: Ball boy

4/3: Hello world

4/4: A day in the life

4/4: Step aside Peyton Manning

4/4: I give you...the Danimal

4/9: Last time at the Children's Museum before our membership expired

4/9: Danny's skills include climbing, twisting, jumping, biting...and getting licked

4/9: Champion climber

4/9: Storytime gets pretty rowdy around here

4/10: Aaron's first movie date

4/10: One year old and already dunking

4/15: He's a pro at this whole walking thing.  Sort of.

4/18: They formed a band and put on a smash hit concert.  Unfortunately, the band broke up shortly thereafter due to creative differences.

4/20: "Mom, I'm pretending I'm dead!"

4/20: Caged animals

4/22: Hey girl, Ryan Gosling's got nothin' on me

4/22: BFFs excited for spring!

4/23: What is this stuff?

4/23: Proud Daddy

4/23: Backyard picnic

4/24: Poster child for Stan's Doughnuts

4/24: Throwin' some shade

4/24: What's up, brah?

Quote Wall/Memorable Moments
-Jill: "We would never give Daniel away.  That would make me sad!"
-Me: "Me too.  We love him!  And besides, I worked hard to make him."
-Jill: "No God did!"

-Jill (on April Fools' Day): "Mommy, you're a boat.  HA HA HA.  April Fools!"

-Aaron: "Mommy, I don't want Jill's legos to be in my lego box.  Can I take them out?"
-Me: "You'd better ask Jill."
-Aaron: "Jill, can I take them out?"
-Jill: "Sure!  You got it kid!"

-Aaron: "(To Jill) You're a table! (To Danny) You're a fork!"
-Jill: "(To me) You're a cup!"
-Me: "Whoah, what's with all the name calling? What's a nice name you can call me?"
-Jill (thoughtfully): "You're a nice cup?"

-Jill: "You're the best mommy in the whole world! Except when you don't let us watch cartoons and then you're NOT the best mommy in the whole world!"

Me: "Um, please do not wipe your dirty hands on my pants."
Aaron: "It's ok Mom, you're already a mess."

No comments:

Post a Comment