- Aaron is such a smart kid. He understands so much and figures things out very quickly. But sometimes it works against me. For example, we have children's place settings that come in six different colors. One day, I was fed up with the kids' constant complaining and meltdowns about what color plate/fork/spoon they wanted, so I declared a moratorium on colors and served lunch on white paper plates and gave them regular silverware. About 5 minutes later, Aaron innocently asked, "Mom, is silver a color?" Unaware that I was walking into a trap I assured him that it was. He went in for the kill: "But Mom, you said we weren't using colored forks anymore today!"
- In addition to figuring out how to handle me, he has also gotten pretty skilled at handling his sister. He has learned how to talk her into doing things she wouldn't normally want to do. I've often heard him in the next room saying to her: "Jill, you like this toy, right?" or "Jill, you don't really want that, I can take it." When I hear Jill's innocent "Otay" in response, I know Aaron has won. But hey, it beats screaming matches!
- He is still obsessed with the color green. I often have to remind him that he does not get to claim ownership over everything in the house that's green just because it's his favorite color.
- We continue to observe her flare for the dramatic. Once I found her sitting alone on the bed looking sad and cradling her arms. So I sidled up to her and asked her if she wanted a hug. Instead, she turned away with a pout and said, "Yeev me a-yone." When I asked if she was ok, she sighed and said, "I just need some time." So I nodded and left her alone, and a few seconds later she rushed out of the room, jumped in my arms, and covered me with kisses.
- One of my favorite things right now is when she dances in the car. I included a video of it below. Basically, anytime catchy music comes on the radio, she raises her fists and waves them around. The funniest times are when she does it halfheartedly -- like she's totally bored but feels obliged to raise her fists because...music!
- Our current challenge with Jill is that she has started issuing threats in an effort to get what she wants. When we tell her no, she often responds by scrunching up her face, pushing out her lips, and making a threat: "Then I'm going to poop on the floor!" or "Then I'm going to jump on your bed!" or "Then you're a fart!" We try to be firm with her when this happens, but she is just such a cute and determined little thing that it can be hard to keep a straight face.
- She also thinks that she can get away with anything if she just grins and apologizes. If she gets in trouble for hitting or calling names, she just gives her most winning smile, puckers up to give me a huge kiss, and trills, "Otay I sorry Mommy! I promise I won't do it again!" But then of course...she immediately does it again.
Daniel
- This kid is so happy. Just the sweetest baby ever. Full of smiles, quick to laugh, so content. It's impossible not to just adore him. And everyone who meets him does.
- He is very coordinated and has some pretty impressive hand strength. He reaches out and tries to grab at everything, and when he gets something in his vice grip, it's tough to get it back!
- He is extremely aware of everything going on around him and he'll search the room until he finds someone he recognizes and then lock on to them, following their every movement. His obvious favorites to watch are big bro and sis.
- Daniel also loves to be tickled. And we are happy to oblige! There are few things cuter than a chubby, giggly, ticklish baby!
8/11: Never too young for power tools
8/14: "The boys"
8/14: Poor Jilly, sick with a stomach bug
8/15: Don't let Jill's sweet smile in the photo fool you -- she is still battling that stomach bug. This photo was taken about 20 minutes before she had a blow-out diaper on the slide. That was fun.
8/15: Whoah, my sister's blow-outs are way more traumatizing than mine!
8/15: Hmm, let me think about that.
8/17: Still feeling a little under the weather, so her brother read her stories to pep her up
8/17: Such intelligent eyes
8/17: Finally over the stomach bug, we have our silly Jilly back!
8/19: Gimme that!
8/21: Enjoying the water slide on a hot day
8/22: Mother-daughter swing
8/22: On the teeter-totter with Adelaide
8/22: Lunch with Gabe
8/22: Impromptu dance party
8/22: Movie and living room picnic night
8/23: Enjoying the final days of summer
8/23: He's trying to ask for an underdog...
8/24: Cheese!
8/27: Showing off their new jammies
8/28: Kissing the baby
8/30: My little chief
8/30: Watching some beach volleyball with Daddy
8/31: He is just as enamored with himself as we are!
9/2: Looking good, boys!
9/2: This video is much longer than it should be, but I just love watching him try to communicate with this toy duck so I couldn't bring myself to edit it.
9/4: Proof that music impacts your mood
9/5: The safest way to cross the street
9/6: Cooling off in Oma's neighborhood pool
9/6: Swimming smooches
9/7: Early morning playtime at Oma's
9/7: Time to eat again? Whoopee!
9/7: Enjoying lunch at Oma's 60th birthday party
9/7: Out on the boat with the birthday girl
9/7: Whimsical childhood moments
9/8: She loved the dress that daddy brought her from Mexico so much that she insisted on sleeping in it.
9/10: I'm 5 months old today?! Now that's cause for celebration! Let's eat!
Quote Wall/Memorable Moments
-Aaron (after the cat yowled at the top of its lungs): "Mommy, we don't want the cat to be so noisy....Maybe we should get a fish."
-Chris: "What kind of fish?"
-Aaron (thinks for a moment): "A catfish!"
-Me: "Aaron I don't want to see any more of that behavior. I want to see kindness."
-Aaron: "It's ok Mom. I just didn't get enough rest, that's why I'm doing that."
-Jill (running up to me as I come in the door): "Mommy! I missed you! I was worried about you because there are big scary bunnies in the street that can bite you!"
-Jill: "You're a poopy!"
-Aaron: "Well you're a fart!"
Me: "Aaron do you have to go potty?"
Aaron: "Nope."
Me: "Are you sure? Don't go in the pool!"
Aaron (loud enough for everyone at the pool to hear): "But my daddy said I can go in the water!"
Oma (getting ready to head out the door): "Ok, that's it. I think I have everything I need!"
Aaron: "What about your grandchildren?"
Aaron: "I wouldn't do that if I were you!"
Chris: "You just did the same thing!"
Aaron: "I said if I were you. But if I'm me I would do it!"









No comments:
Post a Comment