Monday, July 18, 2016

Kiddo Update

Aaron
  • In an effort to teach Aaron about money and responsibility, we recently started giving him (and Jill) an allowance.  Three dollars a week, with the expectation that they will each put one of their dollars in the "donation jar" that we will use to help someone in need.  When we explained these terms to Aaron he said matter-of-factly: "Well, I really don't want to give my money away.  But I will anyway."  I suspect that's how most people feel about their tithe, buddy.  
  • He has it in his head that he wants to be a painter when he grows up.  Not like Michelangelo or Degas -- no, he wants to paint houses.  And should you decide to retain his services one day, you will be limited to a palette of green, orange, blue, or black (his current favorite colors).
  • Somehow, despite our best efforts to shield him, he has started to become aware of his appearance.  The other day in the car, out of the blue, he said: "Mommy, I want to look handsome!"  Inartfully, I tried to explain that it's what's on the inside that makes us handsome or beautiful.  Pretty sure he tuned me out because his response was: "When I get out of the bath, I like to comb my hair so it looks pretty!"
Jill
  • Jill has grown into such a sweet big sister.  While she understandably gets frustrated with Danny when he slaps her in the face or pulls her hair, she has a pretty deep well of patience with him most of the time.  She will bring him toys, read him books, and give him the giggles by making funny faces or doing a silly dance for him.  
  • Every night after I finish singing her a lullaby, Jill tells me: "You're lucky because you get..." and then she debates how many kisses I get that night.  It used to be five, but lately she's been upping it to ten or eleven (mostly to delay bedtime as long as possible).  Once she decides how many kisses I get, she grabs my face and kisses me alternately on each cheek, always throwing in one extra kiss at the end (which prompts me to tickle her for stealing a kiss).  Next, she tells me how many hugs I get (tonight it was seventeen).  Oh how I will miss these moments in ten years when I have to beg her for even one hug!
  • She still continues to be obsessed with stroking my hair while she sucks her thumb.  Her pediatric dentist tells me we need to curb the thumb-sucking by the time she's four.  I figure we'll tackle it once she's gotten through the transition of starting school.  In the meantime, she is actually starting to develop calluses!
Daniel
  • Danny just had his 15 month doctor's appointment.  He is 29 pounds and 35 inches tall.  Basically, he's in the 100th percentile (there are .15% kids taller than him).  If not for his little bald head, he could definitely pass for a 2 year old!
  • Our pediatrician informed me that third children (especially boys) are likely to be a bit behind the curve when it comes to verbal and social skills, but Danny apparently didn't get the memo.  He is incredibly gregarious and goofy, wants to be a part of all the action, and has a rapidly growing vocabulary.  He also understands so much.  I discovered recently that if I just ask him calmly to let me change his diaper, he stops struggling, gives me an understanding look, and settles right down.
  • Doing things big appears to be Danny's thing, and teething is no exception.  He is currently getting eight new teeth.  But he is handling it like a champ, and is only slightly more cranky than usual.
  • Our bedtime routine is pretty comfortable and easy these days.  We read a couple of books, turn out the lights, sing a few songs, and then I lay him in bed.  As soon as his head is on the pillow he looks up at me like and angel, waves his chubby little hand, and croons, "Bah bah!"  He may be saying "bye bye" or he may be referring to his lovey, a stuffed sheep that he has named BaaBaa.  Either way, it's freaking adorable.
  • He loves his big brother and sister so much!  When they come upstairs in the morning, he runs to them to give them a hug.  He mimics everything they do and wants to be with them all the time.  Slow down, little D!
6/10: Backyard blowup pool party

 6/10: Playground antics

6/10: Homemade pizza and movie night has become a Broyles family favorite

6/11: Small group pool party

6/11: 'Sup

6/11: Aaron and Jill got to attend their friend Sam's superhero birthday party!

6/12: Selfie with Dad

6/12: Aaron's treat from the ice cream truck (looks like a demonic ninja turtle to me)

6/13: Best way to cool off on a hot day

6/13: So happy it's summer!

6/17: This picture perfectly represents their personalities right now: Aaron is making organized designs, Jill is pretending each piece is talking to each other, and Danny is trying to crush the container.

6/17: We're obviously the next Von Trapps

6/18: Dipping their toes in the fountain

6/18: Hanging out with their old friend, Cyrus

6/18: Legomaster

6/19: Now, who would like some tea?

6/19: Is there a draft in here?

6/19: Cousins!

6/19: Family concert

6/19: Goofy baby

6/20: Chub-a-dub-dub

6/21: These kids are becoming selfie experts

6/22: Weekly milk purchase for our hungry family

6/24: They're pretty easy to entertain

6/25: Fun in the iconic Chicago "face fountains"

6/25: Did I mention that Danny is bilingual?  Sort of.

6/26: Superman loves a good splash pad

6/26: Aaron attended his first gay pride parade.  His observation: "These guys are fancy!"

6/27: Posing in his goofy getup

6/29: So sweet and innocent I almost want to pick him up and nuzzle him.  Almost.

6/30: Just another way to kill time

7/7: When I leave for work in the morning, these three munchkins like to waive out the front window.

7/7: Hiding under the L tracks to escape the downpour

7/10: Danny has finally learned how to say "please" instead of just screaming when he wants something

7/11: D loves the feeling of the water hitting the side of his face in the bath

7/12: Proud builder of the one-and-only Minion village!

7/13: Loveseat

7/15: Grateful that we have this awesome free zoo that we can visit whenever we feel like seeing a leopard!

7/15: Storytime with Daddy

7/15: Movies in the park

7/16: Three musketeers

7/16: Saying a blessing

7/17: Making a splash

7/17: Nope, you're not old enough for that kind of beer either.  Sorry bud.

7/17: Even when their hearts aren't in it, they can't resist arguing

7/18: Brushing away those sugar bugs!

Quote Wall/Memorable Moments
-Aaron: "Jillian, can I teach you a lesson?  You gotta be brave when you fall down!"

-Aaron (seeing a mother on the street pushing a baby in a stroller): "That's not hard!  One mommy taking care of one baby?!"
-Me: "What would be harder than that?"
-Aaron: "It's hard for you because you have to take care of three!"

-Jill: "Daddy, I love you!  I love you sixty-five, a million, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen pounds!"

-Me (to Jill): "You didn't eat much, bud."
-Jill: "You called me bud!  I'm not a buddy!"
-Me: "Buddy just means friend."
-Jill: "But I'm a girl!"
-Me: "Girls can be buddies.  Girls can be friends!"
-Jill: "I am not your friend!  You are my mommy.  And I am your kid.  A kid is not your friend!"

-Me (at the zoo): "Jill, look at the gorillas!"
-Jill: "Can I go inside?"
-Me: "Absolutely not.  Gorillas are dangerous!  Remember when we talked about wild animals?"
-Jill: "But the mommy gorilla was nice to Tarzan!"

No comments:

Post a Comment